SARMs stands for Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators, and they are a novel group of compounds chemically similar to anabolic steroids.
Anabolic steroids have been around for more than half a century and are well known to stimulate massive muscles. Unfortunately, they also cause side effects in the body, which are undesirable and can be harmful. Imagine releasing a “hormone bomb” in your body - and muscle is just a single part of the many areas these hormone bombs effect. Not before long one can also develop acne, excessive hair growth, male pattern baldness, enlarged prostate, and smaller testes.
This is where Elite SARMs shine. You see, instead of bombing your entire bodily systems with a synthetic hormone, SARMs selectively interact with only the target tissues necessary for improved aesthetics, recovery and athletic performance, particularly targeting the muscles, tendons, and bones.
While SARMs clearly sound like the holy grail for muscle building and the scientific studies support their many potential uses in medicine, these chemicals are not toys and must be used within the recommended dosages and for the recommended cycle lengths - not following protocol could lead to dips in testosterone, increased oil production in skin and water retention.
One thing is definite, you can rely on the effects of SARMs without the drawback when used intelligently, as recommended, revealing to be a much, much safer route to take over anabolic steroids for body recomposition and accelerated lean muscle gains. Below are some stand out points that make the bodily side-effects very different from one using artificial hormones:
1. SARMs are not affected by 5-alpha reductase, the enzyme that converts testosterone into DHT, the main culprit of the undesirable effects of steroid use. Including but not limited to; severe acne, oily skin, hair loss, liver disease, and enlarged prostate in men while increased facial and body hair growth (hirsutism), and menstrual cycle irregularities (amenorrhoea) in women are commonly reported.
2. SARMs are resistant to Aromatase, the enzyme that converts testosterone into estrogen. This is the mechanism that causes gynecomastia, irritability (PMS - like symptoms, even in men) and water retention.
3. SARMs are highly selective, meaning they mimic the positive effects of testosterone in muscle, joints and bone tissues, but have little to no effect on other cells in the body.
4. Finally, because SARMs have a ceiling dosage point, whereas artificial hormones do not their tendency to suppress natural testosterone production is so much lower, making post cycle gains easier to keep and side effects null and void when used correctly.
This brings us back to our original question, given that SARMs have only been around for a few decades and we’ve enumerated their unique properties, are SARMs completely free from side effects?
The answer is: It depends…
Whether or not you’ll have adverse effects will largely rely on:
1. Your daily dosage
2. The length of your cycle
3. Your body’s susceptibility and sensitivity to side-effects in general
4. Other supplements you take with SARMS
Look at it this way, vitamin C is a very popular supplement that doctors recommend to all their patients, and given to children and pregnant mothers. However, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) when taken in mega doses can cause diarrhea, vomiting, heartburn and abdominal cramps just to name a few. What is the point here? Take the recommended dose and stick to it. If you dig around into some bodybuilding and athletic performance forums you could be surprised at the stupidity of some people, taking more than excessive amounts of anabolic compounds with or without SARMs way above the advised dose. Don’t be one of those people.
You’ve probably heard this before that SARMs operate in a sort of “lock and key” mechanism. This is true. Your lock is the androgen receptor (AR) of your muscles, SARMs is the key. Once a SARM molecule attaches to the AR, it activates your bones and muscle tissue to take in more nutrients so they can grow bigger and stronger. There is a ‘saturation point’ that any one body can take in with a particular Sarm and taking more will only increase chances of side-effects.
The takeaway: The longer you use SARMs, the more of your endogenous testosterone will accumulate in your blood which can then eventually lead to test suppression. So the smart thing to do is to gauge what cycle length will work for you that will give you maximum gains without causing your testosterone to shut down.
Which brings me to third factor, your body’s own susceptibility. We are all made differently- that’s the mystery of creation. We’ve encountered athletes who can tolerate a daily dose of 15mg/daily of LGD-4033 for 12 weeks without any issues, while some will take 5mg/daily and feel moody and bloated on the 6-8th week of their cycle.
Our tip: Start low and go slow until you find that sweet spot that will give you Optimum gains.
Lastly, some are prone more than others to fluid retention, mood swings, and gynecomastia due to their aromatase levels. As mentioned earlier, this is the enzyme that converts free testosterone to estrogen. If you have these symptoms, you can do 2 things: adjust your dosage and cycle length, or you can simply take a PCT either during or after you complete your Sarms program. Post cycle therapy is a great companion for your SARMs supplement because of 2 mechanisms: firstly, by inhibiting your aromatase enzymes or secondly, by blocking your estrogen receptors. Leading to gains being held onto and negating the drawbacks aforementioned above.
Thanks for reading team :)