By Michelle G. Edited by Ryan McTeigue
Your brain is the main interface between you and your entire universe. How you perceive, respond, and act are the results of intricate biochemical processes that take place inside your brain.
Nootropics have come onto the scene in a big way only in the past 5 years. 10 years ago the word Nootropic would not even be recognised by the average person. But since the movie Limitless came out - everyone opened up to the possibility that there is a compound or a combination of compounds that could allow us to access the other 90% of our brain that is laying dormant - waiting for humanity to bring about the activation of it. Could supplementation and nootropics be the doorway to this happening? Lets find out...
A true nootropic enhances brain function in diverse ways, offering cognitive benefits that stretch far beyond your basic memory pill. Without a doubt, by boosting diverse aspects of the brain’s capacity, true nootropics offer a unique advantage by enhancing virtually every aspect of your life – regardless of who you are, and what you do.
Nootropics have many benefits not only for our brain, but also for the central nervous system as a whole, which the brain is intricately connected to. These compounds boost neurotransmitters, enhance brain energy, improve cerebral circulation, and facilitate the regeneration of neurons.
The question remains, with the plethora of smart supplements flooding today’s market, which of these nootropic compounds afford the most benefit that translate to better mental performance and better overall brain health? Basically, what works and what doesn't?
This article explores only the research-based advantages of different nootropic agents, and how they can help someone achieve optimum brain performance.
The Top Smart Supplements and how they work
1. Bacopa Monnieri - Bacopa was proven effective in easing anxiety while sharpening mental performance minus sedating side effects. This makes Bacopa an ideal supplement for students studying for exams or anyone who needs to pull an all-nighter to beat a deadline. It is a staple memory-booster because it helps slow down the rate at which the brain forgets newly learned knowledge.
2. Lion's Mane Mushroom - Assists with Nerve Growth Factor (NGF), crucial in brain structure, nerve-protecting myelination and in nerve repair. This mechanism may also explain its clinically shown benefits for bright, balanced mood. This mushroom has neurogenesis-inducing effects , which scientists believe, is associated with its antidepressant and anxiolytic properties.
3. Citicoline – One study demonstrated how Citicoline could boost brain energy metabolism by increasing energy reserves and utilization. It is also shown to increase the amount of essential phospholipid membrane components needed to synthesize and maintain cell membranes in the brain. Another research illustrated its neuroprotective effects by accelerating brain regeneration and optimizing brain cell structure.
4. Rhodiola Rosea – Rhodiola is popularly known to increase brain ATP energy and minimize stress-induced fatigue. Proanthocyanidin, a type of phenolic compound found in the roots of Rhodiola has potent antioxidant activities believed to prevent neuro-inflammation and fight off oxidative stress in the CNS.
If you are the kind of person who seeks to achieve peak physical performance as much as you endeavor in optimizing your brainpower, these cutting-edge supplements will give you the unparalleled benefits you’re looking for:
1. Cardio Shred® Cardarine (GW0742)- It is a PPARδ receptor agonist that mainly stimulates the body’s catabolic pathways experienced during a Cardiovascular workout. It facilitates the breakdown of fat cells, converting them into energy to fuel the body during physical training while using glucose stores to build and develop lean muscles.
Studies in lab mice also demonstrate that Cardarine induces PPARβ/δ activation to alleviate related mental deficits caused by Alzheimer’s disease. This is mediated by increasing fatty acid oxidation in brain astrocytes, which in turn improves cognition.
2. TIGHT® (RAD140)- Among athletes and fitness individuals with a main focus on physique building, RAD 140 is a favorite supplement because it has the anabolic properties of testosterone minus the hassles that go hand in hand with roids. One of the most potent Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators (SARMs), it augments lean muscle development without affecting any other androgen sensitive organs outside of muscles, bones and connective tissues.
Having said this, a recent study has shown RAD- 140’s neuroprotective properties in older male subjects, by increasing brain cell growth, and protecting brain nerves against injury from amyloid-beta plaques and other neurotoxins.